Friday, December 13, 2013

Hocking Hills

After flying to Chicago, then driving to Dayton, we drove to Hocking Hills!

This is Ash Cave, one of my favorite places on Earth.  Hocking Hills is spectacularly Beautiful! The waterfall was once a rushing massive flow of water, and it carved out this ginormous rock overhang, complete with a sandy beach!






We stayed at a cabin with Aunt Donna.

Abby and my parents enjoyed the hot tub!

Abby enjoyed Sullivan (and vice versa)!

 
We made pie (as 3 generations of champion pie makers together). 

I got to go on a hike.


I got to hear a rock fall. A large rock must have fallen, like, really large. I have never heard a sound like that. It was such a low frequency.  It was new to my ears. The ground shook too.It must have been a couple miles away down the canyon.

It's very difficult to capture Hocking Hills. There are deep gorges and it's hard if not impossible to photograph the entire thing. Not in it, or out on top of the rim, because they are so vast.  Kind of like the Grand Canyon.

I think as a photographer it is easy to get caught up in the expansive majesty. You want to somehow fit in the entire feature because it is so utterly impressive.

I like the cute county historic houses. This one on the train tracks.

This is the style of house I always wanted.

2 comments:

GrandDad said...

Marnie, we are so glad you came with us this time! We never knew how neat the "rock House" was until you took us there! It is so grand and beautiful!

Anne Timpano said...

Where is this place, Marnie? Looks magical! The white house looks like a classic farmhouse style...very homey.
Thanks for sharing the photos, they are wonderful!