Saturday, July 18, 2009

White Alice

A government project name White Alice? It sounds ominous, and it looks a little menacing, but actually it was just a communications system. In the early 1950’s, during the Cold War, the tropospheric* communications system was built in Alaska for an improved communications network. The trademark of White Alice was large, square billboard-like antennas scattered across the Alaskan landscape. The original 25 White Alice stations required three years to construct, with the first station becoming operational in 1956. The Kodiak station was on top of Pillar Mountain. It was dismantled in 1997. I wish I could have seen it.

*I think this is the correct definition, but maybe I am making it up!
Tropospheric scatter (or troposcatter) is the scattering of distant TV and FM radio stations by the troposphere so that they travel farther than the line of sight. This effect sometimes allows reception of stations up to a hundred miles away.

The inside of White Alice.

I think this is the station in Bethel - I just liked the pic.



On top of Pillar Mountain.

Photos courtesy of the Kodiak Military History Museum and the donor, Mr. Fletcher.

No comments: