Monday, September 12, 2011

Kodiak No. 3 in Fish Landing Value, No. 5 in Tonnage


Dog Bay, where the big boats dock. Dog as in dog salmon, which the Alutiiq word is Alimaq. Dog Salmon Bay Road was renamed Alimaq Drive.

Please don't take anything I say as fact! I'm blond. I get things wrong all the time!



Which reminds me - How many blond registrar's does it take to screw in a light bulb? Zero. Blond registrars cannot screw in a light bulb, but they can document the process.


Jason worked on the Walter N. for seven years. The Walter N. was built c. 1949 as a steel fishing boat in Kodiak. It sank in the tidal wave in 1964 and remained sunk for three years, when Fred Brechan fished it out of the water. They supposedly fired the original engine. The boat has been sponsoned and lengthened numerous times, but is still small for a Bering Sea boat.







A/B for Abz.



Jason knows everything about everything in regards to fishing - who is captain of what boat, what boat is doing what, who did what when and how much fish were caught and what the hell is an arrowtooth fish - just ridiculous amount of information in that noggin.

Is this a good time to mention how draggers are not very eco-friendly. A lot has to do rationalization and the mass spoilage of bycatch, but even methodologically speaking, bottom trawling is not the most delicate way to retrieve fish. Bottom trawling involves towing fishing gear over the seabed, destroying most everything in its path.


It's pretty much an all kill process. They are fishing for cod, but catch a few thousand pounds or so of halibut, which are dead, and those go overboard, wasted. WTF? I am not saying I am anti-trawler, I don't know enough about it. I talk to a dragger, and they complain about longliners. Talk to a longliner, and they complain about draggers. I wish though I could get thirty pounds of the halibut being thrown away! (legally).



Jason came to Kodiak on the Provider, a scallop boat, from the East Coast. He brought the boat through the Panama Canal, if memory serves me! He's only told me like 500 stories.
Above is actually the crab boat Provider, not the scallop boat.


The fleet comin' in!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great post, but you know you don't use an apostrophe for pluralization, right? only for possessives or contractions. sorry, pet peeve. that and unnecessary "quotes"