Thursday, April 25, 2013

Abandoned

 You know where all those Crab pots are at Gibson Cove? These ones are particularly pretty. Tied nicely, new fittings, neatly coiled rope and bright buoys....Anyway, ever been in the old cannery behind the tall stacks?

(Abby, Let me tell you about crab pots and one epic night someday.)

The first question that comes to mind is: Why? With property so valuable, why is this place just sitting here?  Why was it neglected to the point of no return? This office space is salvageable, but many parts seem rather precarious, with their partially collapsed roof and black mold. Scattered around are plaques, receipts, and records from the early 1990s to about 2001 (account #s, names and all). As you can see with the gloves, nails, and water bottle, someone has been in here sometime recently.

The second question that comes to mind: Why does the City pay the electricity for the Ocean Beauty (I think) owned dilapidated and neglected property? Why are the lights always on?  It is used for storage of hundreds of thousands of dollars of boat gear (I swear the entire Miss Gina is in there).
*UPDATE: It is owned by the city of Kodiak. Why do they own it and why are they neglecting it if they took it on?



Time has literally stood still it seems...

It can be a bit creepy in the labyrinth-like facility.  It's an amalgamation of joined buildings with LOTS of little spaces leading to big ones. Series of ladders and little doors lead to suddenly open lofts. It's a captivating place.  




I seem to have taken lots of wide views, but I did not capture the muddled maze of hallways, walkways, and ladders.




Sun sets late. This was 10:30pm. The light pretty much outlasts me these days!


1 comment:

Mom said...

My first thought- I guess "demolition by neglect" occurs everywhere. I thought it was just a problem in Dayton and Detroit! Beware the black mold- I once got pneumonia showing an abandoned suburban house. Wear a mask (advice from Nurse mom)