Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Spiral Jetty and Salt Lake City

The Spiral Jetty by Robert Smithson, 1970.
I have wanted to see the jetty since I was like 8.  I was able to visit the site as part of a trip during the Western Museum Association annual meeting in Salt Lake City.
The jetty was actually submerged for a number of years, but once again the lake level has dropped. I feel very lucky that I was able to get to this remote spot.

First I hiked up the hill to see the higher view.

Everyone ooh'd and awe'd over the dang horses! City people.

Then I descended and got up close and personal. 
I wasn't down there very long. I definitely could have camped out!



Salt,  at Salt lake. 

It was an extraordinary place. 

Back in the city...I enjoyed all the spoils! Including random art, like these lights that flashed patterns and pictures.

Salt Lake City has a good public transportation system, bike lanes, and a thriving downtown.

Recent development includes the City Creek center I think it's called.  They supposedly used old structured and built new, but it looks mostly new. It is a blend of retail and residential space. 


There is definitely some affluence, aka the Mormons!

I also enjoyed seeing other museums.

No comments: