Friday, March 6, 2009

Yak yak

Why no entries? Is my life too boring? No, but it's not necessarily worth writing about - work drama (which has momentarily been resolved), arguing with Shawen, wondering what we will do for dinner.....doesn't seem worth documenting. Except, my co-worker did ask me if he could put a link to my blog on his blog, and I was thinking to myself - WHY?! Then I realized that it would at least force me to write more, although, he would be a topic quite often! (not that there is anything you could say bad about him as he is the coolest person) BUT, for example, today I mentioned to Shawen how they are going to try to eat locally only - he already hunts and they have a garden, but taking it a step further. This angered Shawen. He saw it as unrealistic. However, I disagree. It's not unrealistic for them. It is obviously something I cannot do as I am not out tromping up mountains with a gun (may be I should be!), nor is there much space for a garden, but I have always tried to collect local berries, mostly unsuccessfully as all the spots I know are already raided. It's a nice thought, growing and harvesting your own food....but I doubt I will ever have the capacity (money and space) to ever do it.

Why eating close to the source may be hard for some - Okay, fishing, you have to have equipment, possibly even a small raft, a car to transport that raft, for canning a pressure cooker, and a freezer. Hunting, must have a gun or bow and arrows, other gear, and again a freezer. Garden, have to have space at minimum, or in my case build raised beds - takes $$$. Harvesting is a possibility, but somehow I have a feeling certain people will not want to eat seaweed and nettles. Jr. has expressed an interest in salmonberries, so we'll see about more berry gathering. Shawen's point was that for people with not so much money and space, how can we eat locally when we can't even buy local goods (fish, meat)? It is illegal to sell your subsistence meat and fish is more expensive here than back home. We do buy Alaska potatoes though!

This aspect of not having money and space I think is a concept that some people do not seem to understand. I get a little miffed at the comments of how much there is to do in Kodiak in the winter for example. I usually do not yield to the harsh weather here. I still get out. I took Abby a walk last night and I assure you I got several nasty stares and two comments about taking babies out in such cold!!! But unless you have $ for skis, a place to keep them, and a four wheel drive vehicle to get you there, yes, outside winter activities can be limited here in town (especially when the indoor activities are closed when I am off, e.g. the touch tank and Refuge). But like I said, I get out unless it is really extreme. Alright, I have beaten this topic with a dead deer. I said my peace.

On a side note, Abby started daycare this week with a Spanish speaking care provider. I wonder if she will pick up the Spanish?

1 comment:

Zoya, Patrick, Nora and Stuart said...

Marnie - good points. I agree with you! It is expensive to eat good food. Buying organic is ridiculous cost wise, and the time, space, and the leisure time to to do it yourself is also costly. But gardening and gathering wild foods can be cheap - hunting and fishing too. All you need is a handline for fishing. Labor time is really the greatest cost. Patrick