Friday, April 24, 2009

Yesterday I traveled out to Port Lions village for a meeting. The school, where I was most of the day, is quite nice and deluxe for the 30ish students. I am not sure what "village" life is like. It looks like it might be nice, but then again, maybe not enough to do? Of course all I like to do is go the beach, go on walks, yoga, and pottery, so....what would I be missing? Well, in Alaska I am missing warm weather, so I see no Alaskan village life in store for me. There are parallels to any other small village though, which is where I ultimately want to be - a lot of the food is subsitence, a lot comes by plane or boat, goods also by plane or boat, hmm, yep, unless you're making/getting it locally everything would have to be shipped, but is that much different from going to Wal-Mart? It's just shipped directly, at a much higher cost. Why do I need so much stuff anyway?

I will be visiting Ouzinkie for just one day, and Old Harbor for three days, so perhaps I will get a taste of what living in such a small community is like. I imagine it is similar to like living in Mt. Adams or South Park, but then there's nothing beyond South Park or Mt. Adams, so you would have much less contact with people outside of South Park and you'd be stuck with all the same people that are in South Park, for better or worse!

I went to Port Lions to facilitate the return of human remains to the Native Village of Port Lions for reburial. I have been working on NAGPRA and the Kodiak Alutiiq Reptration Commission for several years now, so it will be a good day to see these people reburied.

No comments: