Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Ice ice baby

I went on a walk Monday (yes, the horizontal rain day) on Near Island at Rotary Park. I was walking up the hill, which I claim to be the iciest spot on the island, thinking how I was planning on getting down, and just thought I would slide down on my butt like I did the last time. It was great fun.
So I go leave, and this time I start at the very top of the hill. I suddenly realize I am going VERY fast, and that the last time I had on my crampons which acted as breaks. I was not wearing crampons. I could not slow down, let alone stop. I grabbed at the ice and longingly looked at the blurry bushes as I passed.
I am still flying down the hill wondering what is going to stop me - a tree, a ditch with thorny notka roses, a tree (ouch)? I finally see that indeed it will be gravel. I tell myself to relax, no need to tense up right? I skidded to a stop, and realized I was ok. Woo hoo! That was fun!!! I then realized I ripped my only pair of rain pants and slightly sprained my ankle.
Good fun, not sure it was worth the rain pants though. I can't even pay the electric bill, let alone get another pair of rain pants. What's next? Oy.

No comments: