Friday, April 2, 2010


In the Swedish film Fanny and Alexander (I think I got the title wrong in the previous entry), it starts out at Christmas, 1906 or 1907, with of course candlelit trees.  Lighting Christmas trees with candles would obviously been the norm in 1907, and did you know it was the norm in the Howard household as well, that I grew up with candlelit Christmas trees?
In case you did not know, my parents were rehabbers and I grew up in historic homes.  The lovely Colonial Revival behemoth on the Park Dr. Boulevard was our home for most of my youth.  I am sure my mom could tell the story more accurately, but it was there we began this tradition. The man who lived in my mom's first Victorian rehab lit his trees with candles, and we likewise adopted this tradition.
Christmas trees look very different lit with candles.  Electric lights light from the inside out, where as candles light from the outside in. If you have never done this, I recommend it provided you fallow some basic rules:  The tree should be fresh and moist, you should have a fire extinguisher nearby and an appointed fire marshal, you should light from the top down, be careful not to place candles so low as they ignite dogs' tails, children, or flowing dresses, and turn out all the rest of the electric lights - it's just detracts - and enjoy.

Oh yes, and Happy Easter.

No comments: