Sunday, August 8, 2010

Community Archaeology 2010

Patrick (behind my head) is explaining his archaeological theories of the moment for this house pit. I'm pondering.

Puskhi - can't believe I didn't get burned! I was wading right though it, hopping from site to site. This year there is a main trench, but due to the discovery of human remains, which happens occasionally, they are only digging in a small part of the midden and have opened up two 4 x 4 m. house pits. I am VERY glad I went out for a day. I would have been confused trying to documenting the dig otherwise.

Jill's "artifact". Surprisingly, in their house they found NO artifacts! Very tidy people there apparently. Patrick placed his HP spot-on though. They unearthed the fire hearth. (Say that three times.)
And nice ash Jill! They had to dig out about a 3 feet drift of Katmai ash.

All around lovely.

1 comment:

Zoya, Patrick, Nora and Stuart said...

Hey that bottom photo looks like it's an erupting volcano! Patrick