Thursday, August 4, 2011

new friend

Walked to south end of Near Is. Learned that the wildflowers are GONE....

Jason and I met in parenting class last winter. I thought he didn't like me actually! We ran into each other at the playground, and since he is a fisherman, I of course asked about fishing. The rest, as the saying goes, is history. We have become good friends. And to clarify, for those who have been reading, this is another captain, not Cpt. Hottie. That will be the next post probably.

On Friday, J took me to the boat yard, showed me boats. I am learning about commercial fishing. I mean, if I am in Kodiak, I should know about fishing. I know enough about the freakin' Coast Guard, bad weather, etc.
He is looking for his next boat. He worked on THE highliner in Kodiak for some years, then owned a few salmon seiners, now hopefully he can get back in the game cod jigging or longlining for halibut. Can you believe he said he wanted to take ME fishing?! He sees that commercial fishing does indeed intrigue me.

The next day we went to Jacks Lakes behind Bells Flats. I got in the water up to my knees. It felt great!
Here is the second lake, Aurel.

When fireweed blooms reach the top, summer is over. It is nearing the top, and doesn't feel like we've had "summer". Last year Abz and I hit the beach daily, but this year flew by and all I know is we better start squeezing in more outdoor activities.

We brought a shotgun on the walk. I was not bearanoid, but when you are actually walking through grass that is over your head, you can't see five feet, bearanoia can hit, and it did! We just made sure we talked a lot, and all was fine.

Once a week we get the girls together (his daughter and Abby). Jason bought Abby a Dora trike so they can go bike riding together! Abby is still learning. Her little legs are not so strong, but wow, is she smart. I can't believe how fast she is growing right now.

Dancing to Miley Cyrus while Jason assembles the Dora trike.

No comments: