Thursday, February 11, 2010

Deer burger bliss

Here's my recipe for delightful tacos or burritos. I ate four, yes four of these last night. Oink oink. I prefer flour tortillas and condiments of Martha-style salsa, "Mexican" sour cream as Safeway calls it, lettuce, a little fresh cilantro, tobasco, and perhaps a squeeze of lime. Sometimes I add jalapenos. I like guacamole, but not on my tacos, just plain on chips, with some extra lemon or lime.

Now I realize that these are a lot of ingredients. I particularly do not care for recipes that call for a lot of ingredients, because that more equals more $. However, we eat this so often and nothing goes to waste. I even freeze the leftover chicken broth to use in the next batch. Keep in mind, these days I eat what we get from the food pantry, so.....

2 tbs. veg. oil
1 small onion chopped
3 med. cloves garlic, minced
2 tbs. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
salt to taste
1lb deer burger or at least 90% lean beef
1/2 tomato sauce
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 tsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. cider vinegar

Shawen cooks the onions in oil until clear, and then adds the spices, while in another pan browning beef. However, if using Piugta's ground deer, you can just add the deer after you cook the onions and spices. Again, brown the beef and drain off extra fat. Keep deer slightly pink and we actually added butter to fatten it up, so no need to drain.
After that add the wet ingredients. For beef, let it simmer for 20-30 minutes if you like. For deer, cook for a few minutes and remove from heat.


1 comment:

Zoya, Patrick, Nora and Stuart said...

Whoo hoo o sounds tasty - I'll have to get you some more ground deer. Piugta