Thursday, February 18, 2010

Larsen Bay

I walked around the cannery for a few minutes. Pretty neat-o.



I stayed with a lovely elder couple. I stayed in one of their children's former rooms. It was kind of left the way she left it, even with the skeleton thing that freaked me out! They were really nice, and I am very glad I stayed with a family rather than at a lodge, despite the fact I did not get to banya (or shower, no hot water there). I am way too used to getting to bath daily! Really, it is an excessive luxury, but by the time I got back, I was sooo ready for a shower.

This is the old Baptist church. There used to be way more people in Larsen Bay. We have one image collection from the 1960s that shows hordes of kids at this church. Now, there are only 13 kids in the KIBSD school. In the winter, the population drops to about 50-60, in the summer it swells to abo. 400 with all the cannery workers, lodges, hunters, etc.

I asked about community events and recreation, because I go stir crazy in Kodiak sometimes. Some of the residents do seem very bored. They watch a lot of TV and play on the computer. Some of them have never been to the museum, and that bums me out. However, I made a good impression. One step at a time the museum is building trust. Having a good relationship with the community is important, and it can be difficult, but I think when people see our enthusiasm and hard work, they appreciate that, whether a staff member is Alutiiq or not.

I was really happy I got to see the Russian Orthodox church. In this pic you can see the earth (dirt/rocks) to hold the candles. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. I was there on the Catholic Ash Wednesday, which means I missed service again, but lately I have been going to the Salvation Army. I really enjoy it. It starts with singing, for which I am insistent Abby stays in the room, and then she runs back to play with the toys in the kids room. Anyway, everyone is very welcoming. One thing though is that they do not do communion, which of course being raise Catholic, strikes me as odd. I suppose it is not necessary to worship God, I am just so used to the regimented Catholic services. The Salvation Army service is way funner and much more relaxed.




Old cemetery.


Views of the cannery.

These ladies were lovely - Clyda and Annie (mom and daughter). Clyda is 90! Notice the icon corner behind them.
Again, building rapport here. Because of my visit Clyda decided to donate her archaeological collection to the museum. It will be VERY useful for the community because, as it is a family collection rather than owned by a gov. agency or tribe, we can accept it as a donation and use and share it freely. Most of the collections here on on loan to us, as our name implies - repository. Their use comes with quite a few restrictions.

No comments: