Thursday, February 11, 2010

Speaking of work, as usual, there is some exciting projects on the horizon. The week of the 22nd, staff from the State Museum will be here for a mount making workshop as well as to review our exhibits, so we can assess mounting and display techniques and materials use from a conservation perspective, develop better ideas for mounting specific delicate pieces, and review the museum’s artifact rotation plan, among other things.
The ASM conservator/curator of museum services is particularly remarkable. He is always so abundantly helpful and will either have the answer to any question on hand, or will get that answer to you about pretty much any facet of the museum world. I should probably ask him the meaning of life or something, he might have that answer too.

The workshop is open to the public and we have invited other local museums. The other museums will also have a very rare opportunity to get a free review / question/answer session with the ASM staff.

We have these types of events happen all the time. I guess they are so "commonplace" for us, I forget they are not commonplace for most museums. The Alutiiq Museum is all about developing professionally. Our endeavor to be professional is one of the reasons we receive almost every grant we apply for, and we have a lot of grants, over 13 right now I believe. We also get masks from France, and a kayak from the Peabody, a $1,00,000 from the Rasmuson, and a whole bunch of stuff thanks to the alluring Dr. H. (must be the seal-like eyes, A'i ngia'aq). I think I can say with assurity that we are a prolific bunch. I think I have said it over and over again, but I get to do more and meet more people here, than I would if I got pigeon-holed in a position at the Smithsonian. That's why it's hard contemplating leaving here. Am I ready? There are positions in Am. Samoa and in OH that I have been thinking of applying for, but apparently I am not, simply because I am not ready to leave just yet, and I can't decide where I want to go - home?, Florida?, Samoa? I am not sure. So, I am staying put for now I think.

(And no, I am not breaking my arm here by telling you how great the museum is. It's not me, it's us as a team. And let me tell you what, we are all quirky. Learning to accept each other's eccentricity and getting along as a team is critical. Sometimes we blunder. I think that's human nature. Thank goodness, most of the time it all works out. Sometimes, people don't forgive, and that sucks.)

No comments: