Friday, June 4, 2010

Lucky's final hurrah


Well, Lucky is no more. I feel guilty as hell about. I know I probably should not, but technically he could have lived another 2 weeks, a month, don' t know, and I feel bad. But don't get sniffly too quick, he's not totally out of my life yet.
I really didn't know what to do with his remains. I have no idea where I would bury him. I doubt I would be successful in digging a deep hole on someone else's property as I do not even have a shovel. I used to just get my pets cremated. Silly perhaps, but that's my preferred disposal. So, on the island, this is not an option, unless you're rich. $150 and his ashes are dumped at the dump? $350 and you get him back. I then heard about a place in Anchorage, Harthaven. $35 for a group, and $95 for private, plus shipping. This seems fine to me, just have to ship him to Anchorage. Everyone assures me this is fine, people do this. So I call AK airlines to find out details. Blah blah blah no styrofoam, wait, no, that was he has to be in a styrofoam box, which I find out when I arrive at the airport.
Shit, were do I get a styrofoam lined box? After 6 phone calls, Island Seafoods has them. I go, get one that seems to be not really the best size, but that's all there is. I get home and go to put Lucky in the box, and he doesn't fit! I kind of push a little, no, he's not fitting. Are you kidding me?! What kind of bad sitcom is this?
So, he goes back to the vet's freezer. All of this on a day where I am (really, really) sick, Shawen yells at me, and Abby has the worst temper tantrum ever.

Correction, Lucky's group cremation in Kodiak is only $20. Sold!

1 comment:

mom said...

Marnie, you saved Lucky, that white, one blue eye, one green eye, deaf cat in a Blizzard! He had a frostbitten ear, and was less than five pounds when you saved him from starvationa nd freezing to death. He had a wonderful life with you (despite his harrowing 20 hour jet plane trip to Alaska so he could rejoin you). He never had a good life until you had him. Making sure he didn't suffer unnecessarily when he had advanced cancer was the brave and selfless thing to do. I felt so bad about the box thing- i wish i could have been there to solve the problem. But he will be always in Alaska, perhaps suitable for a white cat who was very fearless and full of spunk.