Sunday, July 25, 2010

Amelia Peabody

My pronunciation is atrocious (Abby's spanglish seems to be better, see post below), and these I had to learn how to say correctly, or learn what they mean: Acrimonious
Peroration
Detritus
Declivity
Uxorious
Tatterdemalion
Blithely
Desultory
Equanimity
Denouement


A man trying to convince himself of something he knows is true and does not want to believe it. Until then, we must make the best of what fate has to offer, and accept the good with gratitude and the bad with fortitude.

To call the feeling a premonition or foreboding would not have been entirely accurate. It was rather, based on expert knowledge of the criminal mind and a certain degree of informed cynicism. Criminals in my experience, do not suddenly turn into honest men. Jamil was still in need of admittance and he was still resentful of us. Nothing had changed there, and the more we frustrated his attempts to get what he wanted, the more resentful he would be.

My reception from Selim’s wives was much more enthusiastic. They were both young and pretty and I must confess-though I do not approve of polygamy-that they seemed to get on more like affectionate sisters than rivals.

Memory is capricious and aberrant. – I love her constant use of axioms.

“You might shave your beard,” I said. Selim went pale and clutched at his treasured beard. I repented my cruelty almost at once. “I was joking Selim. You are not known in this region; I do not believe a disguise is necessary.”

She was bored and restless, and annoyed with her husband, and fascinated by Sethos. It wouldn’t have required more than that. Admittedly her motives are less important than his. Why did he do it? Surely not to rescue a damsel in distress.

No comments: