Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Hard to see, but he has one green eye and one blue eye. He is deaf.




Above is my latest piece. What, I am averaging about one every six weeks?! I need to step it up for sure. It' s just Abby goes to bed so late, I haven't been doing it at night, and on Sunday and Monday when she takes a nap, so do I! So, that's leaves.......when???
My inspiration came from a dream. I was thinking less time involved (in the dream I had to make a pot fast for a competition), simple and dramatic. All turned out, although not sooo much on the less time part. I should include a scale, it is about 14 inches high. Remember, the underglaze gets glazed over.
The next piece I will be making is Lucky's urn. Poor boy has a cancerous growth on his ear (not seen above). Apparently, it is a quick growing cancer as it has doubled in size in the last few weeks. I thought he had months to live, but I don't think so.

Did I relate his story previously? Well, he was rescued, as in re ran into Shawen's house and collapsed in the middle of winter. Shawen nursed him back to health. He and Shawen's cat, Venus, fought, and Lucky when healthy, was seemingly annoying, so somehow I got him. Of course, he and Venus live together peacefully now. Anyway, he's lived way longer than I ever thought he would. He's had a good life stuffing his belly full of tuna, sneaking out on the porch when he can, and laying in the sun whenever it appears.

1 comment:

Mom, Grandmum Pam said...

Marnie- your pottery is phenomenally beautiful. So amazing and individual.
On Lucky-he was Lucky when he was rescued, and he got to be with you in your early days in Alaska. He has avoided being picked up by an eagle although he always wants to go outside and is such a small cat. He has had a better life than he ever would have had. Don't let him suffer when he is ready. I always think of the time we were watching him right after you left for Alaska. We had one of our big parties and couldn;t find him, although we had warned everyone to watch out for him and not let him out of the one bedroom so we didn;t lose him. Ended up we found him sound asleep in the closet -you can;t call a deaf cat! I was so worried we had lost him in the attic!