Saturday, January 9, 2010

Twilight excerpts

Edward was staring at me curiously, that same, familiar edge of frustration even more distinct now in his sapphirine eyes. I stared back, surprised, expecting him to look quickly away. Instead he continued to gaze with probing intensity into my eyes. There was no question of me looking away. My hands started to shake.
I looked down at my book as soon as his eyes released me, trying to find my place. Cowardly as ever, I shifted my hair over my right shoulder to hide my face. I couldn't believe the rush of emotion pulsing through me - just because he'd happen to look at me for the first time in a half-dozen weeks. I couldn't allow him to have this level of influence over me. It was pathetic. More than pathetic, it was unhealthy.

I was suddenly hyperaware that Edward was sitting less then an inch from me. I was stunned by the unexpected electricity that flowed through me, amazed that is was possible to be more aware of him than I already was. A crazy impulse to reach over and touch him, to stroke his perfect face just once, nearly overwhelmed me. I crossed my arms tightly across my chest, balling my hands into fists. I was losing my mind.
My eyes, of their own accord, flickered to him. I smiled sheepishly as I realized his posture was identical to mine, peering sideways at me. He grinned back, his eyes managed to smolder, even in the low light. I looked away before I could start hyperventilating. It was absolutely ridiculous that I should feel dizzy.
He walked me down the hall; I turned to say goodbye. His face startled me - his expression was torn, almost pained, and so fiercely beautiful that the ache to touch him flared as strong as before. My goodbye stuck in my throat.
He wrapped his arms around me, running his hands down my back, the trail his fingers left on my skin was alarmingly warm - like I'd been burned but didn't feel the pain yet.

No comments: