Friday, November 5, 2010

Gene Sundberg

Gene Sundberg passed away about a week ago. I knew him of course through the museum. The Sundbergs had decided to loan a collection of Father Gerasim's vestments, a digital scrapbook about Father, and a video I believe one of the seminarians helped make with Gene. In that particular year, and the year previous, we happened to obtain many collections regarding Father G - photos of him, his cross stitchings, songs he used in his services, his archive of correspondence - all of this culminated in the Orthodoxy in Alutiiq Life exhibit I curated, part of which focused on Father Gerasim.

It was great working with Gene and getting to know him. I saw him in September and he looked great. It's really sad he passed so suddenly. I really feel like I should have spent more time getting to know him better. I will definitely regret it, but I am really happy I got to hear some of his stories and I know his endearing qualities, and when I pass I will make sure I stop by and have tea with him and Father in Monk's Lagoon.

No comments: